The Wallace House Center for Journalists at the University of Michigan in the United States is inviting applications for journalists under the age of 35 for the 2024 edition of the Livingston Awards for Young Journalists, which recognises outstanding reporting.
These awards aim to identify exceptional young journalists and the next generation of newsroom leaders. Print, online, video, audio and data visualization works are all welcome for submission.
To be eligible for the award, the applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Entrants must be 34 years of age or younger as of December 31, 2023.
- Multiple bylines are eligible, but all must meet the age criteria.
- One entry per individual is accepted. One entry can be a single piece or a maximum of three pieces either from a published series, an original piece and its follow-up developments or three pieces clearly tied together in a beat. All pieces of the series must be published by the same organization.
- There is no limit to the number of entries that a media organization can submit, provided that they enter only one entry per reporter.
- Individuals may apply on their own, or be entered by their organization.
- Text, video, audio and data visualization work are eligible. Still photography is not eligible.
- The work must appear in U.S.-controlled media. Entrants are not required to be U.S. citizens.
- Entries must be directly related to current events or include new information about old events. Features and commentary are eligible.
- Submissions must consist of materials prepared in the ordinary course of the journalist’s professional production. Materials prepared by journalists specifically for submission to the Livingston Awards do not qualify.
- Student media completed solely as a class assignment or for a college or university publication is not eligible.
- Journalism produced by students and published by a media organization serving a general audience is eligible.
- Competition is limited to work published or appearing during the calendar year ending December 31, 2023.
To apply, entrants will need to create a free account on OpenWater; enter the media organization and the title of the piece or series they are entering; and enter the region of their entry.
The winners of the programme will be selected by a panel of judges who have committed to the programme for a long time and are highly respected for their achievements in journalism. The winners will receive institutional support to continue producing ambitious projects. Each winner will receive a prize of $10,000, presented for local, national and international reporting.
Applications close on February 1, 2024.
For detailed information about the awards and to apply, please visit https://wallacehouse.umich.edu/livingston-awards/enter/.