Wallace House at the University of Michigan in the United States is inviting print, online, video, audio and data visualization entries for the Livingston Awards for Young Journalists. The awards were established in 1981 to recognize outstanding reporting and bolster the careers of journalists under the age of 35.
To be eligible, entrants must be 34 years of age or younger as of December 31, 2021 but multiple bylines are eligible, though all the authors must meet the age criteria.
One entry per individual is accepted and can be a single piece or a maximum of three pieces either from a published series, an original piece and its follow-up developments or three pieces clearly tied together in a beat. All pieces of the series must be published by the same media outlet.
Other eligibility criteria include the following:
- There is no limit to the number of entries that a media organization can submit, provided that they enter only one entry per reporter.
- Individuals may apply on their own, or be entered by their organization.
- Print, online, video, audio and data visualization works are eligible. Still photography is not eligible.
- The work must appear in U.S. controlled media. Entrants are not required to be U.S. citizens.
- Entries must be directly related to current events or include new information about old events. Features and commentary are eligible.
- Submissions must consist of materials prepared in the ordinary course of the journalist’s professional production. Materials prepared by journalists specifically for submission to the Livingston Awards do not qualify.
- Student media are not eligible.
- Competition is limited to work published or appearing during the calendar year ending December 31, 2021.
- Winners will participate in an outreach event arranged by the Livingston Awards.
The deadline to enter 2021 work for the 2022 Livingston Awards is February 2, 2022.
To enter for the Livingston Awards entrants should fill the online form.
Prizes of $10,000 will be presented in three categories: local, national and international reporting. There is no entry fee. Prize money is paid directly to the journalists, not the media organization.
For more information and to enter the competition, please go to https://wallacehouse.umich.edu/livingston-awards/about/.