Carnegie Calls for Applications on Enhancing Librarians’ ICT Skills


The Carnegie Corporation is inviting applications for its Continuing Professional Development (CPD) programme on the enhancement of Librarians Information and Communication Technology (ICT) skills for research enablement in African universities.

The programme, convened by the Department of Information Science, University of Pretoria, aims to empower the next generation of library and information professionals within Sub-Saharan African countries with hands-on skills to apply current and emerging information and communication technologies (ICTs). It also aims to build capacity amongst library and information services (LIS) professionals to support and enable researchers.

The programme is open to Library and Information Science (LIS) faculties in Ghana, Nigeria, South Africa, Tanzania and Uganda as well as academic librarians. It will take place over a period of three years broken into eight four-week training sessions. Thirty two participants will be selected for each intake.

This four week residential training programme will concentrate on both practical and theoretical aspects of ICT. While the practical session takes up 70% of the curriculum the theory covers the remaining 30% and together they cover several important topics including:Setting the context: Libraries, ICTs and research; Leadership and innovation; Advanced information literacy and advanced information retrieval; Social media for research discoverability in an academic environment; and Mobile technology and mobility.

Other topics slated for the training are Managing and organising information; Personal Information Management; Open Scholarship and Open Science – Publishing; Open Scholarship and Open Science – Institutional Repositories; Open Scholarship and Open Science – Understanding and using research data management; and Digitisation, among others.

It is a fully funded programme and will take place in Pretoria, South Africa. The funding covers books and other academic expenditures, flights, accommodation, and a daily stipend while in Pretoria. All participants are expected to reside in the accommodation provided in Pretoria for the duration of the programme.

Application for the first intake of 2014 closes on April 29 2014.  There will be a second intake in November 2014, as well as further intakes in 2015 and 2016.

For additional information on the programme content, eligibility and selection criteria, application procedures, important dates, etc., kindly visit:

All correspondence or enquiries should be directed to Ms Joan de la Haye at