The Center for Ethics and Sustainable Development (CESD) will, on October 30, 2017, launch the report of its findings of a nation-wide survey on the Freedom of Information (FOI) Act that sought to gauge the average citizen’s awareness and understanding of the FOI Act, their perception of governance and their role in ensuring good
CESD is launching its evidence-based Freedom of Information report at an event in Ikeja, Lagos with the theme “The Freedom of Information Act: Evaluation of Current Advocacy, Social Realities and Charting a Roadmap for Sustainable Proactive Action and Impact”.
The event will discuss various related issues including:
- FOI Act: Transcending theory to praxis
- Review of gaps in current FOI advocacy
- Open and participatory governance
- Active citizenry: citizen education and capacity building
- Charting roadmap for political debate to ensure accountability
- Review of the recall Process
The launch and media presentation of the report is aimed at drawing attention to the findings of the report, initiate conversation on active citizenship, and chart a road-map for citizen education and engagement. This event also hopes to achieve the following outcomes:
- Co-create citizen education and capacity building template to demand accountability and participation in governance processes
- Documentation of policy recommendation for on-going review of the FOI and effective recall process
- Charting a roadmap for proactive and impactful FOI Act implementation
- Production of integrated and co-created advocacy resources for FOI advocacy in Nigeria
CESD is a non-governmental, non-profit think-tank committed to utilizing research, advocacy, training and intervention programmes, and strategic communication to advance human well-being and sustainable development as well as integrate ethical values in defined areas of interaction in Nigeria.
The organisation is also positioned to provide thought leadership on sustainable development initiatives that promote good and participatory governance and to advocate social development through the promotion of social inclusion, social cohesion, transparency and accountability in governance.