Investigative Reporters and Editors (IRE), an American non-profit organization that focuses on improving the quality of journalism, is accepting submissions for the Philip Meyer Journalism Award.
The award, named after Philip Meyer, a groundbreaking journalist and professor who has championed the use of scientific methods in the media, recognizes journalists who utilize a wide variety of research tools, from probabilities to survey research.
A joint programme of the National Institute for Computer-Assisted Reporting and Arizona State University’s Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication, the Award will be presented at the annual conference held by the National Institute for Computer-Assisted Reporting, to recognize excellent journalism done using social science research methods.
Interested applicants are requested to submit a completed questionnaire; the story(ies) they are entering (in PDF format); and at least one person on the team needs to be a current IRE member through March 2023.
Applicants should also take note of the following;
- Eligible works must have been published or broadcast between October 1, 2022, and September 30, 2023.
- Entries submitted in any language other than English must be accompanied by English translations.
- One person on the story’s team must be a current IRE member.
- There is a US$75 fee per entry for professional members and free for student.
- There is no limit to the number of entries an applicant may submit or the number of stories (in a series) he/she may submit per entry. Three Meyer Awards will be given, acknowledging 1st, 2nd and 3rd place from the pool of entries received.
- Judges may disqualify any entry with an incomplete questionnaire; include a significant role by an IRE contest judge; disregards the rule, such as not mailing hard copies of applicant’s video or audio or entering with an expired membership. There will be no refund of application fee for disqualified entries.
The deadline for submission of entries is November 10, 2023, 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time.
For detailed information, visit https://www.ire.org/awards/philip-meyer-journalism-award-faq/ and to apply, go to https://ire.secure-platform.com/a/.