Following the media briefing held in Abuja on February 9, 2023 and done by the NBC’s Director General, MRA by a letter dated February 17, 2023 requested from NBC some information about the 302 broadcasting stations sanctioned by the Commission between September 28, 2022 and January 31, 2023.
MRA by an application dated March 20, 2023 and filed on its behalf by freedom of expression lawyers, Mr. Tale Alabi along with Ms. Obioma Okonkwo, Mr. Monday Arunsi, Florence F. Aremu, Igho Ogedegbe and Gloria I. Odo is challenging the Commission’s failure to grant MRA access to the requested information. The suit was instituted against the National Broadcasting Commission and the Attorney-General of the Federation.
MRA in the application is seeking the following reliefs:
- AN ORDER of the Honorable Court granting MRA leave to apply for a review pursuant to the Freedom of Information Act, 2011.
- AN ORDER of the Honorable Court directing that the grant of the leave sought in 1 above shall mandate the NBC to grant access to or make available to MRA information requested in the MRA’s letter dated 17 February, 2023 which was duly delivered to NBC namely:
- A list of the 302 stations sanctioned by the NBC between September 28, 2022 and January 31, 2023, detailing the names and locations of the stations.
- For each of the 302 stations on the list, the name of the individual or entity which made the complaint against the station leading to the NBC sanction, the date of the complaint and details of the complaint on allegation made against each station.
- Copies of all correspondence by the NBC to the stations against which the complaints were made, informing them of the complaints or allegations made against them.
- Copies of all correspondence from all the stations against which complaints were made in response to the allegations against them.
- A list of all the broadcast stations against which the NBC received complaints of any type, pursuant to the Nigeria Broadcasting Code, between September 28, 2022 and January 31, 2023, which the Commission investigated and absolved of any wrongdoing.
- Details of the sanctions imposed by the NBC on each of the 302 stations sanctioned by the Commission between September 28, 2022 and January 31, 2023.
- Further to Paragraphs 6 above, a list of all the stations upon which the NBC imposed fines, including the amount of the fine imposed on each of the stations.
The Matter has been fixed for hearing on May 4, 2023.