The Obama Foundation, a Chicago-based non-profit organization in the United States which seeks to inspire, empower and connect people to change their world, is inviting applications from rising leaders from the United States and around the world for its 2024-2025 cohort of the Obama Foundation Scholars Programme.
Prospective applicants should meet the following criteria:
- Are emerging leaders who have made meaningful contributions to their field and are now at a “breakthrough moment” in their careers.
- Have a proven commitment to service and leadership within a community, region or country, coupled with a demonstrated commitment to return to these communities following their completion of the programme and apply their enhanced training, skills, and connections on a long-term basis for the benefit of these communities
- Are fluent in English (verbal, written and spoken)
- Have the ability and inclination to positively shape the future of their community
- Have a demonstrated commitment to inclusivity, community-orientation, hope, courage, imagination, strategy, accountability, integrity and resilience
The fellowship is a full-time, residential programme at Columbia University and cannot be undertaken at the same time as a degree programme.
Since 2018, the Obama Foundation Scholars Programme at Columbia University has welcomed: 70 rising leaders from 54 countries who have demonstrated a commitment to finding solutions to challenges in their communities, countries, and regions. These scholars were, on average, 33 years of age, with ages ranging from 26 to 45 years. they were emerging institutional and movement leaders addressing a range of challenges, including strengthening governance, increasing access to high-quality healthcare, environmental sustainability, and promoting women’s rights and ending gender-based violence
The complete application form, which must be submitted entirely online, should include the following: Resume/curriculum vitae, Personal video statement, Responses to short essay questions, and proof of English proficiency, Two letters of recommendation.
For more information, see the program’s About page.
Selected scholars will be entitled to:
- Monthly stipend to assist with living expenses in New York City
- A furnished studio apartment within walking distance of Columbia University
- All tuition and fees for up to four courses at Columbia University
- Basic medical, dental and life insurance for the duration of the program in New York City
- Air travel to and from home country and any program-related activities