Registration has opened online for the 2019 Forum Media and Development (FoME) Symposium organized by DW Akademie in conjunction with Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung. The symposium is scheduled to hold on November 7 and 8, 2019 in Bonn, Germany, at Deutsche Welle’s headquarters.
Titled “Rethinking media development – New actors, new technologies and new strategies,” the Symposium, will explore the future for media development in the new information ecosystem.
The event will bring together journalists, media managers, media development specialists, activists, academics and representatives from government, civil society and private companies from around the world to exchange their views on this topic.
The symposium will attempt to address core questions such as How can media development succeed in this changing information ecosystem? What are the most pressing challenges? What new approaches look promising? How should media development projects work with new innovative players? What are positive examples of cooperation with start-ups/innovation hubs? How do tech companies like Facebook, Google and the like come into play? How are media development organizations preparing for these changes? What are their new strategic priorities? And What are the most important future issues for media development?
The event offers expert input in the form of speeches, short lightning talks, panel discussions, workshops and exciting interactive formats (Buzzword Check, Marketplace of Ideas). Organizations contributing with sessions include CIMA, DW Akademie, Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung, ECPMF, Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung, Friedrich Naumann Foundation for Freedom, Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ), icebauhaus, n-ost, Reporter ohne Grenzen and Tea after Twelve.
Some of the topics of the sessions at the Symposium include
- Dissemination strategies for journalism in captured environments: cross-border alliances and ‘dark social’ Innovate or die: The scramble for new funding schemes in media
- Surveillance laws in times of technological innovation: How to better protect journalistic sources
- Data Journalism: A win/benefit/gain for citizens and democracy?
- New strategies in development communication. Focusing on solutions instead of crisis reporting
- Artificial Intelligence and (media) development: Challenges and opportunities for human rights and inclusive innovation
- Artificial Intelligence gone wrong: What if highly automated systems make mistakes and journalists are censored on social media due to fully automated systems without an effective way to appeal?
- Media Technologies for a Translocal Citizenship: VR, AR and Digital Storytelling
- Networked Solutions: Why voices from the Global South are essential to facing the tech challenge
- From AI to blockchain, through innovation and digitalization: What is the real relevance of these buzzwords for media development
- Changing journalistic roles in a changing media world?
- Why internet governance matters for journalism? Providing policy and advocacy for journalism and news media sustainability in the digital age.
- Building MIL Momentum: Using old tricks to innovate.´
- The whole picture: How constructive journalism widens the perspective
Interested persons are encouraged to register online at https://www.eventbrite.de/e/fome-symposium-2019-rethinking-media-development-new-actors-new-technologies-and-new-strategies-tickets-66559761037 as only limited spaces are available.