The Stigler Center is now accepting applications from journalists with years of media experience, proficiency in English, and an interest in deepening their knowledge and understanding of political economy for its Journalists in Residence Programme.
The program offers exclusive seminars, opportunities to study with world-class faculty, and the chance to network with colleagues from around the world. It is a transformative learning experience for journalists from around the world who are interested in deepening their understanding of the interactions between politics and the economy.
Successful applicant will be entitled to the following:
- Reimbursement for economy-class airfare to/from Chicago and SEVIS and visa application fees
- A stipend of $12,000 to cover living expenses over the 12-week programme (subject to tax withholding of up to 14 percent for international participants)
- Training in business fundamentals at Chicago Booth
- Participation in seminars and workshops at Chicago Booth and across the university
- An opportunity to write for the ProMarket publication
- Opportunities to collaborate with Booth faculty, students, and fellow programme participants
- Designated study space
- Certificate of participation upon successful completion of program
Program participants will be expected to: audit three classes; attend and actively participate in classes and complete all required readings and assignments; participate in Stigler lectures, lunches, and social events as well as other events recommended by the center; and sign a letter of agreement with the center to indicate that the programme guidelines and expectations are mutually agreed upon.
To be considered for the programme, applicants must apply and submit the following items through the center’s Online Application Portal:
- Curriculum vitae
- Personal statements describing interest and goals for the program
- Two letters of recommendation
- Three published news articles (If the articles are not in English, a translation should be submitted along with the original articles. TV or radio journalists, should please include links to their video/audio files in a PDF or Word document along with English transcriptions.
- Proof of English Proficiency (if applicable)
Non-native English speakers must submit proof of English proficiency (waived if undergraduate or graduate degree was obtained in a college/university where English is the primary language of instruction or in an English-speaking country). Examples of proof of English proficiency include:
- Certificates or standardized test scores (TOEFL, IELTS, SAT, ACT, Cambridge, Duolingo, etc.)
- English equivalency diploma or certificate awarded by accredited national education institution
Work experience in an English-speaking office with letter from manager affirming language skills
The deadline for submission of applications is October 2, 11:59pm CT Chicago time. Applicants will be notified of final decisions in December. The Spring 2023 programme will run from March 13 – June 3, 2023.
For further information, please visit https://www.chicagobooth.edu/research/stigler/education/journalists-in-residence-program.