The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), in partnership with a network of Uruguayan universities, is inviting papers for the seventh edition of the Academic Conference on the Safety of Journalists scheduled to take place in Punta del Este, Uruguay.
The Academic Conference will take place within the framework of the 2022 global celebration of World Press Freedom Day, co-hosted by UNESCO and the Government of Uruguay on May 2-4, 2022.
The Academic Conference committee welcomes submissions/papers/research on all aspects of safety of journalists and impunity for crimes against journalists.
Topics that are especially encouraged for the 2022 Academic Conference are:
- Digital protection for journalists & online surveillance
- Specific threats faced by women journalists online and offline
- The safety of journalists covering protests
- Impact of internet shutdowns on journalistic work
- Digital media technologies and safety of journalists
- The 10-year anniversary of the UN Plan of Action on the Safety of Journalists and the Issue of Impunity: achievements, challenges and the way forward
Interested applicants should submit abstracts of a maximum 300 words before or on February 15, 2022 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for submission of final papers is April 18, 2022.