The Association of Communication Scholars and Professionals of Nigeria (ACSPN) is calling for papers from members/potential members, interested individuals, local and international organizations, associations, institutions, agencies, private sector and governments for its 2018 annual conference which will take place in Warri, Delta State on September 5 and 6, 2018.
As a result of emerging and disturbing trend of fake news and hate speech which has become a matter of concern in Africa, this year’s conference will examine Media Narratives: Hate Speech, Fake news and Political Stability in Africa.
Participants are encouraged to explore theoretical, conceptual and contextual issues in the areas of Media Narratives: Hate Speech, Fake News and Political Stability in Africa as they relate to any of the sub-themes or related areas under the theme.
Academic contributions, case studies or special presentations that are products of collaborative, original and innovative empirical studies or professional experiences in these areas are welcomed.
Papers should reflect but not restricted to the following sub-themes:
- Hate Speech and Political Stability
- Fake News and Political Stability
- Digital Culture and Fake News
- Digital Culture and Hate Speech
- Social Media Activism, Fake News and Hate Speech
- Gender, Fake News and Hate Speech
- Ethical Issues in the Age of Hate Speech and Fake News
- Law, Fake News and Hate Speech
- Media and Information Literacy and Fake News
- Regulation, Ownership and Control in the Age Hate Speech and Fake News
- Political Economy of Hate Speech and Fake News
- Policy Issues in Hate Speech and Fake News
- Journalism Training and Practice in the age of Fake News and Hate Speech
- Media Audience, Hate Speech and Fake News
- Development Agendas and Hate Speech
- Public Relations, Hate Speech and Fake News
- Advertising, Hate Speech and Fake News
- Freedom of Information, Fake News and Hate Speech
- Data-driven Journalism and Fake news
- Foreign Policy, Diplomacy and Fake News
- Multiculturalism, Diversity and Hate Speech
Abstracts of no more than 300 words (typed using Times New Roman font and 1.5 spacing format) should be emailed by June 30, 2018 and full papers (typed using Times New Roman font and 1.5 spacing format) by August 15, 2018 to –firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com,
Abstracts should include affiliation, address and email of authors as more specific correspondence would be sent only to confirmed participants as the date approaches.
Submissions are encouraged from communication and media scholars and professionals and other interested individuals across disciplines and professions.
The conference fee is N15, 000, £75, $100 for (subscribed ACSPN members) and N20, 000, £100 $150 for (non-ACSPN Participants).
A limited number of places are available for those who are strictly students at the reduced fee of N5, 000 (Please indicate if you wish to be considered for one of these places when sending your abstract, or contact the association as soon as possible).
All payments should be made to: Association of Communication Scholars and Professionals of Nigeria in Nigeria to (Guaranty Trust Bank, Naira Account No: 0141407323) and from outside Nigeria to (Guaranty Trust Bank, Domiciliary [Euro, Dollars, Pounds] Account No: 0141439012)
The conference fee does not include accommodation and travel grants or other forms of financial assistance which will not be provided.