Early-career professional journalists from developing countries with proficiency in English are encouraged to apply for the six-month Alfred Friendly Press Partners Fellowship which provides fellows with basic and advanced hands-on instruction at the Missouri School of Journalism.
The goals of the fellowship are:
• To provide the fellow with experience in reporting, writing, editing, producing and editorial decision-making that will enhance future professional performance;
• To expose the fellow to the technological changes that are occurring in the industry;
• To enable the fellow to gain a practical understanding of the function and significance of the free press in American society;
• To transfer knowledge gained on the program to colleagues at home;
• To foster continuing ties between free press institutions and journalists in the United States and their counterparts in other countries.
Eligible candidates should be aged between 25-35 years old and have at least three years of experience as a journalist at a print, online or broadcast media outlet.
Selected fellows, who will work as staff reporters in their host newsrooms, are required to develop training plans that they will implement when they return to their home newsrooms.
The all-inclusive fellowship starts in mid-March and ends in early September.
Completed application should include all of ten items. Applicants are encouraged to check the boxes next to the items in the application form as they complete them. The items are Application Form; CV/Résumé; Two Essays comprising of a Professional Statement and an Individual Fellowship Goals; Two confidential reference letters; and employer’s endorsement.
The other items are: Links to four published/broadcast stories that best show applicant’s interests and abilities; one passport-size head-shot photo; A clear photocopy/scan of applicant’s working press credentials; A clear photocopy/scan of applicant’s valid passport; and a clear photocopy/scan of valid automobile driver’s license.
Applications must be sent by email and incomplete applications will not be reviewed. The deadline for submission of applications is August 31, 2019
Please download the application form here.