The Nigeria Media Innovation Programme (NAMIP) is inviting applications from media organisations that are building innovative news and information products to apply for the NAMIP Innovation Challenge 2022.
The challenge seeks applications for products that explore opportunities to reach and connect with broader audiences through digital platforms and technologies or that develop new revenue generation opportunities or sustainable business models.
The NAMIP is a three-year p
togramme working to increase capacity, generate sustainable and diverse revenue streams, and build audiences of independent media in Nigeria, particularly those reaching underserved communities.
It was launched in February 2022 and it seeks to support the editorial independence of media organisations by strengthening their financial sustainability.
The programme encourages applications from existing independent media outlets, non-profit media and new ventures which have projects that address one or more of the following focus areas:
- Digital native products: New approaches to collecting news and information, and to reporting, storytelling and distribution
,that embrace the possibilities of technology.
- Reaching rural communities: Innovative approaches to reach that empower people outside of major urban areas and those generally underserved by existing news media.
- Engaging people in official languages that are underserved: Attempts to engage and distribute content to communities in vernacular languages that are underserved.
- Technology innovation for distribution: New media technology that distributes local news in a cost-effective and sustainable way.
- New Revenue opportunities: Innovative solutions to revenue challenges that mend a companies face – how can we open up new revenue streams to make media organisations more sustainable and independent.
- Transition to digital: Finding and implementing solutions, products or processes that assist legacy media to transform their businesses.
Winners will be awarded up to $50,000 for their project and join MAMIP’s three-year innovation and capacity building programme.
The NAMIP challenge is open to independent media initiatives based in Nigeria. It could be an existing independent media company, a non-profit or a new venture that is just kicking off. The programme seeks for mission-driven companies and organisations passionate about trying new approaches to local news and information. It encourages applicants who don’t have traditional journalism and media backgrounds, particularly from the areas of technology, design and business.
All applications received will be assessed and shortlisted candidates will be invited to make a more detailed pitch to join the NAMIP cohort.
The deadline for submission of applications for the initial funding cycle is midnight on May 31, 2022 (West Africa Time). For detailed information about the programme, please visit https://www.mdif.org/our-work/initiatives/namip/ and to apply for the challenge, go https://airtable.com/shrajr7DKGUOi3kXH